Experiencing Elbow Inflammation? Receive Golfer’s Elbow Treatment in Casper, WY
Golfer’s elbow, also known as medial epicondylitis, is an overuse injury that occurs where the tendons in the forearm attach to the bump on the inside of the elbow. This painful inflammation usually comes as a result of damage to the muscles and tendons that move the wrist and fingers. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to be swinging an iron to develop golfer’s elbow. This condition can stem from any forceful, repetitive finger or wrist motion, such as raking, painting, handling a screwdriver, throwing a ball, or lifting heavy objects, in addition to golfing.
If you are experiencing golfer’s elbow, an experienced elbow specialist at Premier Bone & Joint Centers in Casper, Wyoming, can help you recover so that you can get back to doing what you love.
Treating Golfer’s Elbow
Rest plays an important role in the treatment of golfer’s elbow. To prevent further pain and discomfort, we recommend avoiding repetitive finger and wrist motions until the condition improves. Our elbow specialist may also recommend the following therapies to treat your golfer’s elbow:
- Ice applications to the inner elbow three to four times a day for 15 to 20 minutes at a time
- Bracing to reduce tendon and muscle strain
- Physical therapy, including appropriate stretches and exercises recommended by a physical therapist
- Medication such as an over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)
- Surgery, which may only be necessary for severe cases of golfer’s elbow or persisting pain
Generally, individuals experiencing golfer’s elbow may gradually return to activity once pain subsides.
If you are experiencing golfer’s elbow, the elbow experts at Premier Bone & Joint Centers will be happy help you along your road to recovery. To learn more about golfer’s elbow or to schedule an appointment at our satellite location in Casper, WY, contact us today.