“I believe in treating each patient the same way I would treat a member of my immediate family”
-Trevin Thurman, M.D.
- Interventional Pain Management
- Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Low Back Pain
- Regenerative Medicine
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- DRG (Dorsal Root Ganglion) Spinal Stimulators
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma)
- Chronic Pain After Surgery
Dr. Thurman joined Premier Bone & Joint Centers September of 2020. A native of Idaho, Dr. Thurman completed his medical degree at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah. He then underwent residency training in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts. He went on to complete a fellowship in Interventional Pain at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington.
Dr. Thurman is dual board certified by American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and the American Board of Pain Medicine.
University Care Close to Home
Dr. Thurman has worked as a university professor and was offered a teaching position to stay at Harvard Medical School. He chose to return home to the mountains he loves and provide the full range of university level treatment options to his patients in the West. Many of these cutting edge therapies are not offered by any other physician in Wyoming or Colorado. 99% of Dr. Thurman’s procedures are performed with a small needle and finished with a band-aid, and patients are able to return to work and their regular lives the same or next day. These techniques include standard options such as epidural steroid injections and facet joint ablations, but also innovative treatments such as:
PRP (PLATELET RICH PLASMA) THERAPY– Dr. Thurman participated in the worlds first randomized clinical trial of PRP treatment while he was a resident at Harvard 15 year ago. PRP injections are now often used in professional athletes such as the NFL/MLB, and Dr. Thurman worked as a team physician for the New England Patriots and Boston Red Sox during his time in Boston.
PRP therapy uses the growth factors in your own blood to heal a variety of difficult to treat injuries including
- Mild to moderate arthritis of any joint in the body, though most commonly used in the knee, hip, and shoulder.
- Chronic tendon and ligament issues anywhere in the body
- Lumbar disc annular tears and Lumbar disc degeneration/chronic lumbar disc herniations
DRG (DORSAL ROOT GANGLION) SPINAL STIMULATORS– DRG stimulators are a significant advancement in the past few years, though very few pain physicians offer this important, cutting edge treatment. DRG stimulators can provide significant relief for many conditions for which there is no other effective therapy including
- Chronic pelvic pain after gynecologic or urologic surgery
- Chronic pain after replacement of the hip, knee, and ankle joints
- Chronic pain after crush injuries to the lower extremities, foot, or multiple foot surgeries
- Chronic pain after peripheral nerve injuries
- Complex regional pain syndrome of the lower extremities (including patients who failed traditional spinal cord stimulation)
- Phantom pain after lower extremity limb amputation
SPINAL CORD STIMULATORS– Traditional spinal cord stimulators have existed for over 30 years, however in the past several years there has been a technology breakthrough that for first time effectively treats chronic low back and neck pain in patients who have had spinal surgery but struggle with persistent pain. Dr. Thurman offers a special type of spinal cord stimulation that effectively treats patients with neck and low back pain who have failed other treatments including outdated spinal stimulators.
Spinal cord stimulators can provide significant relief for:
- Chronic moderate-severe neck and low back pain
- Chronic arm or leg pain after spinal surgery
- Complex regional pain syndrome (RSD)
PERIPHERAL JOINT SENSORY NERVE ABLATIONS– Dr Thurman is the only physician in Wyoming and Colorado to offer these procedures that significantly reduce pain from:
- Chronic shoulder pain in a patient too young or too old for joint replacement or who has failed shoulder replacement.
- Chronic hip pain in a patient too young or too old for joint replacement or who has failed hip replacement
- Chronic knee pain in a patient too young or too old for joint replacement or who has failed knee replacement
- Chronic sacroiliac joint pain in a patient who has failed physical therapy and sacroiliac joint injections
Dr. Thurman is a son of the West and after a decade of medical practice, decided to return home to the Rocky Mountains. When he is not treating patients, Dr. Thurman enjoys back country hiking, fishing, sailing, tennis, cross-country skiing, and racing automobiles.
When I went in for my procedure, Dr. Thurman explained everything about the procedure before the injection and was very clear about everything from what I was going to feel during the injection. Everything Dr. Thurman did was spot on and direct and to the point. As he injected the steroid he kept asking and making sure I was ok, which really shows he cares. After we were finished it was quick and easy and the results have been exceptional. I am now pain free, my hip and leg went from excruciating pain to complete relief. My day to day life is back to normal and I couldn’t be happier and all without surgery. I would highly recommend Dr. Thurman and Premier Bone & Joint Centers.