Accurately Diagnosing Your Pain With an NCV & EMG Test
When in pain, you want to have confidence that your physician has diagnosed your condition with pinpoint accuracy and that your treatment regimen will address the underlying cause of your discomfort. That’s why the orthopedic specialists of Premier Bone & Joint Centers often recommend using an NVC or EMG test to accurately diagnose your condition and provide you with a treatment plan that restores you to your active lifestyle as quickly and safely as possible.
In order to identify common muscular or nervous conditions—including carpal tunnel syndrome, sciatic nerve problems, and herniated disc disease—we use two types of electrodiagnostic tests:
- NVC test – Also known as a nerve conduction study, a NVC test involves placing two electrode patches on the skin over a nerve. The patches provide gentle electrical stimulation and record the speed at which the impulses travel through the nerve.
- EMG test – Also known as electromyography, an EMG test requires inserting fine, sterile electrode needles into select muscles. These needles measure electrical activity as you expand and contract those muscles.
Together, an NVC and EMG test can help our orthopedic specialists identify whether the underlying cause of your pain or weakness comes from your nervous system or muscular system. Using this information, we can develop the most effective treatment plan for your condition.
What to Expect
Many patients feel anxiety before an NVC or EMG test. However, our board-certified and fellowship-trained physicians will take great care to ensure your test goes as smoothly as possible. During an NVC test, you can expect to experience a tingling sensation that, while unusual, is completely safe. The small needles used during an EMG test may cause some brief pressure or discomfort, but these sensations usually go away within 10 minutes after the test is complete.
Your physician will provide you with more information and instructions on your NVC or EMG test. Schedule an appointment with the orthopedic specialists of Premier Bone & Joint Centers today to experience precise diagnoses and effective treatment plans that Wyoming residents trust.
Locations Where Offered
Specialties & Services
- Diagnostic Services
- Physician Specialties
- Foot & Ankle Sports Injuries
- Shoulder Doctors You Can Trust to Provide the Treatment You Need
- Sports Medicine
- Physical Medicine & Rehab
- Wrist Doctors You Can Trust with Your Injury or Condition
- Surgical and Non-Surgical Treatments